Thursday, August 27, 2015

WALLED LAKE MAN GETS 6 YEARS IN PRISON FOR KILLING NEIGHBOR IN FIGHT OVER DOG

Original Story: wxyz.com

PONTIAC, Mich. (WXYZ) - He ended a fight over his dog by shooting his neighbor. Tuesday, Charles Simkins learned his sentence.

Vickie Adams stood up before Charles Simkins and talked about what he took from her when he shot her fiancé 45-year-old Edwin Criswell, killing him. A Walled Lake divorce lawyer is reviewing the details of this case.

“I have lost him. I have lost my job. I have lost finances, friends, some family, sleep, peace, and now my home,” said Adams.

She then asked the judge to lock Simkins away for as long as possible.

“I have seen no remorse shown from him and believe he is a dangerous man,” said Adams.

The tragedy that brought her to an Oakland County courtroom happened in Walled Lake in December 2013.

Simpkins, 28, was looking for his dog. He realized his neighbor had the dog. An argument over the dog running unleashed turned physical. Simkins shot Criswell in the leg and called 911 for help.

When given the opportunity in court to make a statement, Simkins apologized.

“To the Criswell’s I would like to say I am very sorry. I know my words are probably empty. I wish almost as much as you that this never happened,” said Simkins.

Defense attorney Todd Flood said the jury sent a message when it convicted his client, not of murder, but of voluntary manslaughter.

“This is not a man who should be thrown away,” said Flood.

He said Simkins is a veteran with post traumatic stress disorder, and the man killed does not lack guilt.

The judge responded saying Simkins had a history of violence and should have gotten help before his rage cost a man his life. She sentenced him to a minimum six years in prison. A Walled Lake divorce lawyer is following this story closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment